Buhari will step on toes; Nigerian Dream Team offered $4k each; We’ll publish names of looters – Presidency; Arms deal probe; PDP stalwart faults allocation of N39.4b to Northern oil exploration; We’ll not criticize Buhari if Armed Forces don’t meet Dec deadline – PDP; Finance Minister issues fiscal guidelines; Charlatans hijacked MASSOB – Uwazurike . . .
Buhari will step on many big toes in his anti-corruption war – Presidency
The Presidency on Friday said President Muhammadu Buhari would not hesitate to step on big toes in the current war his administration is waging against corruption in the country.
The Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Mallam Garba Shehu, said this at the opening of a three-day retreat organised for State House correspondents in Kaduna.
Nigerian Dream Team offered $4,000-a-man to beat Algeria
Each player in the Dream Team will receive the Naira equivalent of $4,000 if Nigeria defeats Algeria in Saturday’s U-23 African Nations Cup final in Dakar, Senegal.
However, the players will not get a dime if they lose to the Algerians, africanFootball.com reports.
“It’s winner-takes-it-all. So we have to give everything to be champions tonight,” an official told africanFootball.com.
We’ll publish names of looters soon – Buhari
President Mohammadu Buhari said yesterday that his government will soon publish names of those who have returned portions of their loot from public coffers.
This was revealed by his spokesmen, Garba Shehu, who said in Kaduna that the Presidency would step on toes in their anti-corruption fight. Shehu said that the Presidency would do so for the interest of Nigeria.
President Buhari had earlier said that the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) will soon publicly name those who looted Nigeria and who have returned part of they wrongly appropriated.
Shehu also said the CBN was holding on from publishing the list in order to avoid jeopardizing investigations and further recoveries.
Arms deal probe: I acted in Nigeria’s interest – Okonjo-Iweala
The ex-Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister of the Economy, Mrs. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, yesterday, reiterated her innocence in the ongoing probe on the multi-billion dollar arms deal, stating that in all her dealings, she strived to protect the interest of Nigeria.
Okonjo-Iweala, in a statement by her spokesperson, Mr. Paul Nwabuikwu, also alleged that unscrupulous and comprised individuals have distorted the contents of her memo to former president Goodluck Jonathan, seeking the transfer of $300 million and £5.5 million to the Office of the National Security Adviser, to portray her in bad light – especially the Edo state Governor Adams Oshiomhole.
PDP chieftain, Sunny Onuesoke, faults Buhari’s allocation of N39.4b to oil exploration in the North
Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) chieftain, Chief Sunny Onuesoke has faulted President Muhammadu Buhari’s allocation of N39.4 billion for oil exploration in the Northern part of Nigeria.
Reacting to the pronouncement of the allocation as enshrined in the 2016 budget, Onuesoke, while speaking to newsmen in Yenagoa, Bayelsa State said it was amazing that when the West and other parts of the world were embarking on renewable energy exploration, Nigeria was allocating funds for oil exploration in arid Northern part of the country.
We’ll not criticize Buhari if he fails to meet December deadline for Boko Haram – PDP
The National leadership of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP said yesterday that it would support President Muham-madu Buhari if he fails to achieve the set deadline to end insurgency in the North East which has remained a major security challenge confronting the country, rather than criticize the All Progressives Congress, APC led government.
Speaking yesterday in Abuja when he received a youth group under the aegis of Northern Youth Network at the party national secretariat, PDP National Publicity Secretary, Chief Olisa Metuh said: “APC had promised that they were going to end insurgency in two weeks, they later said it will be over in two months and after that they now gave December 31 deadline to end Boko Haram.
NPAN tackles Tribune, Peoples’ Daily, Telegraph over NSA Dasuki compensation payment claim
The Newspapers Proprietors Association of Nigeria (NPAN) on Saturday explained why some of its members were yet to be paid the compensation money released to the body by former National Security Adviser, Sambo Dasuki.
The publisher of ThisDay Newspapers, Nduka Obaigbena, had said in his response to a letter of invitation from the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, that he received N120 million in March 2015 on behalf of NPAN and 12 newspapers.
The newspapers had demanded compensation for the unlawful seizure and stoppage of circulation of their newspapers by armed soldiers in Abuja and several cities in June 2014.
But in separate statements on Friday, some of the 12 newspapers dissociated themselves from the payments.
Finance Minister Adeosun issues tough fiscal guidelines to agencies
Nigeria’s finance minister, Kemi Adeosun, has issued a new set of guidelines to compel federal government offices remit monies they generate, accompanying the stringent rules with the threat of sanctions to defaulters.
Henceforth, the minister said, all self-funded federal agencies are to limit their annual expenditures from their internally generated revenues to not more than 75 per cent of their total gross revenue, while fully funded agencies must remit all monies they generate to the Consolidated Revenue Fund, which is the federal government’s central account.
The move is aimed at recouping billions of naira wasted annually by hundreds of government agencies who generate revenues, but fail to pay same to the government, despite having all their administrative costs covered for by the federal budget.
Charlatans hijacked MASSOB from me – Uwazurike
Chief Ralph Uwazurike, founder of the Movement for the Actualisation of Sovereign State of Biafra (MASSOB) has given reasons he renamed the organisation, Biafra Independent Movement (BIM).
Photo: Pro-Biafra leaders L-R . Ralph Uwazurike BIM, Uchenna Madu New MASSOB & Nnamdi Kanu IPOB.
According to him, charlatans were hijacking MASSOB and deviating from the non-violent approach to the struggle. He accused Nnamdi Kanu, the leader of Independent People of Biafra (IPOB), and director of Radio Biafra London of defrauding him in the radio project.
Uchenna Madu, who claimed to be the new MASSOB leader, had few days ago expelled Uwazurike from the organisation.