Sen. John McCain (Arizona) admitted on Wednesday that he gave the FBI a dossier detailing claims of a Russian blackmail plot against President-elect Donald Trump . . .
News reporter Carl Bernstein who contributed to a story about the dossier reported by CNN on Tuesday, said Sen. McCain was given the document by a former British ambassador to Moscow.
Trump critic Sen. McCain made the public statement as his alleged role in spreading an unverified and error-riddled document about Donald Trump. As usual, Trump denounced the dossier as “a complete and total fabrication . . . A pathetic pile of garbage”
Sen. John McCain said:
“Late last year, I received sensitive information that has since been made public. Upon examination of the contents, and unable to make a judgment about their accuracy, I delivered the information to the Director of the FBI. That has been the extent of my contact with the FBI or any other government agency regarding this issue.”
Sen. John McCain is no fan of Donald Trump as he disavowed the president-elect weeks before the election. During the presidential campaign Trump said McCain wasn’t a war hero because he was captured during the Vietnam War.
Before Trump’s first news conference in six months, he unleashed a Twitter tirade on Wednesday, denouncing as “fake news” unverified reports about a dossier that reveals salacious allegations about him – and questioning whether “we are living in Nazi Germany.”
Sen. John McCain (Arizona) | FBI
Trump twitted about 8 a.m.: “Intelligence agencies should never have allowed this fake news to ‘leak’ into the public. One last shot at me. Are we living in Nazi Germany”
“I win an election easily, a great ‘movement’ is verified, and crooked opponents try to belittle our victory with FAKE NEWS. A sorry state,” wrote Trump.
Russia lashed back against the allegations dismissing them as a “complete fabrication and utter nonsense.”
“The Kremlin has no compromising dossier on Trump, such information isn’t consistent with reality and is nothing but an absolute fantasy,” said Dmitry Peskov, a spokesman for President Vladimir Putin, The Washington Post reported.
“This is an evident attempt to harm our bilateral ties,” Peskov told reporters in Moscow. “The Kremlin does not engage in collecting compromising information.”